- a) General tourist information
About Odense: www.visitodense.com; about Denmark: www.visitdenmark.com.
The currency in Denmark is the Danish krone (DKK). Other currencies are generally not accepted. Credit card payment is usually possible but there may be a surcharge for the use of foreign credit cards.
- b) Getting there
Easiest via Copenhagen Airport (CPH, www.cph.dk/en). There are direct trains to Odense from the airport train station (once an hour usually) or frequent trains to Copenhagen Central station (København H), where there will be trains to Odense (usually every 30 minutes). Note Odense may not be the final destination so display boards at stations may give names of towns in Jutland (such as Aarhus, Aalborg, Esbjerg). All intercity trains going west will stop in Odense. Travel time from the airport to Odense is approximately 2 hours.
Train tickets cannot be bought on the train. These must be purchased at the airport, either at the DSB (Danish railways) counter or at the red ticketing machines (credit card). Price approx. 300 DKK (approx. 40 EUR) for a standard single ticket with full flexibility. Discounted tickets (so-called orange tickets) can be purchased online (www.dsb.dk/en), but these need to be booked early, are binding to specific train departures and are non-refundable if you miss the train due to fight delays. Standard tickets can also be bought online.
We do not recommend using Billund airport (BLL) as the public transport connections to Odense are cumbersome.
From Hamburg via Flensburg, change in Kolding or Fredericia. Travel time from Hamburg to Odense is about 4 hours. Inexpensive saver fare Denmark tickets are available at Deutsche Bahn (www.bahn.com/en). Convenient connections every 2 hours. Passport control when entering Denmark by the Danish border police.
- c) Accommodation
There is no conference hotel so please organise your own accommodation. Odense offers a range of hotels in different price categories. Note hotel accommodation is not cheap in Denmark. Some suggestions:
- Cabinn Hotel Odense, (relatively) inexpensive, small, modern rooms, conveniently located directly at the train station, direct city bus connection to the university, cabinn.com/en/hotel/cabinn-odense-hotel
- City Hotel Odense, also relatively inexpensive, cosy, near train station, good city bus connection to the university, city-hotel-odense.dk/40-home.html
- Hotel Plaza, rich in tradition, more expensive, near train station, good city bus connection to the university, often special offers, http://millinghotels.dk/hoteller/hotel-plaza-odense
- Hotel Grand First Odense, more expensive, comfortable and dignified, located in the centre, easy to reach, firsthotels.com/Our-hotels/Hotels-in-Denmark/Odense/First-Hotel-Grand-Odense/
- Hotel Knudsens Gaard, more expensvie, typical Danish ambience, comfortable and cosy (hygge!). Public transport to the university is, however, cumbersome. For getting to the university, we recommend walking (30 minutes) instead. knudsensgaard.dk/de
More accommodation (hotels, hostels, B & B) at www.visitodense.com.